Updated May 4, 2022
OBI Training is delivered via video and by Zoom. You do not need to sign up prior to training.
Training On Demand
Training by Zoom
PLEASE NOTE: If no attendees have arrived to a Zoom Training session by 15 minutes past the start time, the Zoom session will be ended.
|Topic||Date and Time||Meeting ID|
|Virtual Office Hours||TBA|
Training Sessions Descriptions
|Topic||Description||Who Should Attend?|
|Getting Started with OBI||Quick overview of data warehouses, how to access OBI, report navigation, etc. Training by video.||Beginning OBI Users|
|Introduction to OBI Financials||Introduces the data concepts for the Financials data warehouse, accessing reports, and tips and hints. Training by video.||Current and Future OBI Users|
|Costs & Commitments||Data concepts, logic, and overview of the reports related to the detail information about costs and commitments.||OBI Introduction Attendees|
|Labor Distribution (LD)||Data concepts, logic, and overview of the reports related to Labor Distribution including LD Schedule Lines and details about distributions. Sponsored Research compliance reports related to the NIH Salary Cap and Award Effort Commitments, are also covered.||OBI Introduction Attendees|
|Summaries & Installments||Data concepts, logic, and overview of the reports related to award installments (which is the first step in the budgeting process) and financial summaries (budgets, costs, commitments, and balances).||OBI Introduction Attendees|
|Virtual Office Hours||These sessions are an opportunity to drop by to ask questions, run reports, etc.||Novice & Experienced Users|
OBI Zoom Training
Zoom meetings will start 15 minutes before the training start time. Join early to make sure you are setup properly.
- Only authenticated users can join. This ensures that only users with a Caltech account can join the meeting.
- Login to access.caltech.edu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the application links and click on the Zoom Video Conferencing link to open the app.
- Click on Join and enter the meeting ID.
- You do not need to register for a class ahead of time - just show up.
- Please ALWAYS check this page before checking into the Zoom session and use the Meeting ID. Occasionally the Meeting IDs may be changed.
Zoom Training Best Practices
- Mute your audio at all times except when asking a questions.
- Use a headset for the best audio quality.
- When asking questions:
- Use the Chat feature to post questions.
- Use the Raise Hand feature to speak to the trainer.