IMSS / Services / Collaboration, Storage & Backups / Caltech Dropbox
Caltech DropBox is a file exchange center for files too large to be sent via email. Since the Caltech mail system limits email attachment sizes, DropBox is a great alternative for sending files up to 2GB. DropBox does not require the use of a special client and can be used with all operating systems. The URL for each uploaded file is unique and randomized and files are deleted after 24 hours.
- Does not require the use of a special client.
- Can be used with all operating systems.
- The URL for each uploaded file is unique and randomized.
- Uploaded files will be deleted after 24 hours.
- There is no way to browse the files that have been uploaded
- 2GB file size limit
- Go to http://dropbox.caltech.edu
- Click the Browse button to the right of the first field
- Locate the file on your computer and double click the file or select it and click Open
- In the second field, enter the email address of the person that will receive the file
- In the third field, enter your email address
- Finally, click Send File
- Depending on the size of the file, it may not seem as if anything is happening, but you will at some point see a new screen that says "Your file was stored" at the top
- You will get an email containing the linked file, and the recipient will get a similar email with the linked file
- Clicking the link takes you to a save popup
- Select where you'd like it to go and you are done
- The file is only stored for 24 hours before it is automatically deleted
- You cannot attach multiple files at once
- Also, you cannot send to multiple recipients at the same time. The best way to send to multiple users is to put your email as the recipient. When you receive the mail containing the link, send that link to your list of recipients.