Microsoft Office is available via Caltech's Office 365 license. Office Online, which can be used in browser is available to most Caltech users. The full Office client install is available to full time students, as well as faculty and staff classified as Microsoft Knowledge Workers.
Note: The volume licensed version of Office is no longer available via the software.caltech.edu webstore. Office must now be downloaded from the Offie 365 portal; instructions are below. (System administrators managing bulk installs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
|Microsoft Office (online & client install)||Faculty, Knowledge-worker Staff, Full-time Students, Trustees||Free|
|Microsoft Office (online only)||Other staff, External Affiliates, Retirees||Free|
- Internet connection to validate license
Office Online is supported on the latest browsers and does not require additional software, however if you need to locally install Office on your computer, you can download client software through the Office 365 portal. Note that you must first have Office 365 services activated for your account before doing the following:
- To download Office, go to https://aka.ms/office-install and log in using your access.caltech account.
- Click Install Office and follow the prompts
- Follow the on-screen steps to proceed with the installation.
- Once Office is installed you may be prompted to log in to activate the license. Log in with your access.caltech username in the format email@example.com.
- You will be redirected to the Caltech log in page, enter your access.caltech password and Sign In.
- Instructions to install Office are also at https://support.microsoft.com.
Information for Non-IMSS System Administrators
You may follow these same steps described above. However, you will only need to have the computer's end-user activate the Office license with his/her login.
Office ProPlus Shared Computer License Activation
Shared computer activation lets you deploy Office ProPlus to a computer that is accessed by multiple users. Here are some examples:
- Multiple users sharing the same physical computer in a lab, each person using Office on that computer
- Multiple people using Office on a computer that's located in a conference room kiosk location, or other public space on campus
- Multiple people using Office on multiple computers at a locations such as a training room or classroom
For shared computer license activation, please follow these Microsoft instructions.
For assistance with activating Office ProPlus on a shared computer environment please contact the Help Desk via https://help.caltech.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org or x3500.