Reminder: Leave Your Work Computer On
In order to be able to connect to your work computer remotely, your work computer must remain on at all times.
IMSS recommends this option for individuals that work with sensitive information such as HR data, payroll, financials, HIPPA/FERPA protected data.
IMSS is in the process of obtaining devices (laptops or thin clients) that can be used to connect remotely to your work computer. These devices have the advantage of being managed, meaning that security updates will be pushed to them by our management console on the regular schedule.
To request a managed computing device:
- Contact your supervisor for approval
- Supervisors, please submit a request by emailing email@example.com
Home Computer Requirements
Before enabling remote desktop on your work computer, please ensure that your home computer meets the following requirements:
- Windows 10 Pro (Home edition does not include the Remote Desktop client which is needed to connect to your work computer)
- 8GB Memory
- 128GB Hard Drive
The following steps must be taken on your work computer in order to be able to connect to it remotely:
- Request VPN access (this will be needed for your home computer)
- Find your computer's IP address
- Enable Remote Desktop
- IMPORTANT (do not skip this step): Restrict Remote Desktop to Campus Network
- If you have files store locally on your computer you can save them to Box to access them from anywhere.
- If there is a specific software on your Mac work computer, you can install this software on your Mac at home. Most licenses allow you to install software on up to 5 devices